All Comments

• From Reese on I Love You!...by JoAnn

One IS a lonely number. Hearing the words, ‘I love you’ reminds you–you aren’t alone.
    2020/10/18 at 9:26 pm
  • From Dale Divine on I Love You!...by JoAnn

Very good JoAnn.
    I play golf every day and every day before I leave to play, I kiss my wife and tell her I LOVE YOU. And every night before we go to bed we kiss and tell each other I LOVE YOU.. We’ve only been married for 12 years but the “HONEYMOON” is not yet for us two love birds.

2020/10/17 at 7:56 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on I Love You!...by JoAnn

Yes, Joanne, We sometimes forget the small amenities of life. To say ‘I love you’ covers a multitude of difficulties of the past! Let all disagreements go by telling the other person, “I LOVE YOU”! Great thought, Joanne!

2020/10/17 at 11:07 am
  • From Christine on Hello Darlin' by JoAnn

I’m so glad you wrote about this! I would borrow that radio from him and follow him around too when outside! Also, I remember him dedicating songs to mamaw on the radio!! I told Evan about it. Aw, it warms my heart.

2020/10/16 at 7:47 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Hello Darlin' by JoAnn

Yes, Joanne, we would all like to go back and hear our Father’s voice again. I guess this is why we have music to remind us that there was a past, and hopefully, there will be a future!

2020/10/11 at 10:03 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Orange Juice

Ah, Orange Juice! Filled with Vitamin C, Calcium, etc.(whatever is added at the processor) Yes, our first Frigidaire solved a lot of problems, especially at milking time! It is a good thing to never dwell on what we can get in the way of sickness, but instead, dwell on the One who can heal us of that sickness. Medicine cannot heal, only God can heal! Medicine only assists nature to remove the antibodies so that the blood stream can do its job!

2020/10/11 at 9:57 am
  • From Elsie on Hello Darlin' by JoAnn

JoAnn, I thoroughly enjoy your writings. Although, I am a generation older than you so many things that you reference brings back memories of days long passed. Tommy Joe and I grew up together and have stayed in contact all these years. I love dearly and look forward to his missives as well. You two, please, keep up the good writings for us oldies to enjoy.

2020/10/11 at 6:25 am
  • From Janice Farmer on I Love Meat

I really enjoyed reading this missive.

2020/09/29 at 12:58 pm
  • From Christine on Simple Things

They were a lot like that for us too! I still am happy that cell phones weren’t a thing and I never had one until I was 18, and even then used it rarely. I am thankful for my cell phone now, but I’m glad I was able to grow up without one. Good post

2020/09/21 at 11:14 am
  • From Christine on I Love Meat

Great missive!

2020/09/21 at 11:11 am
  • From Dale Divine on I Love Meat

Another great read TJ. I love the hot weather. I’m out playing golf in it every day.
    I usually play about 5 to 7 hours a day. I have my golf cart but still get a lot of walking in.
    Take care. Stay safe and healthy.

2020/09/20 at 6:11 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Simple Things

Joanne, You must have been pretty well-to-do when you went to school. Most of us used an old lard bucket or a plain paper sack (called a poke then) and if we had mayonnaise and tomatoes in our lunches, these inevitably leaked through and ruined the sandwiches our mothers so delicately packed! Because our lunches went into the cloak room behind the stove at school, if we had sandwiches with cheese, it was always hardened around the edges and only the center of the sandwich was edible. Ah, such misery!

2020/09/20 at 4:21 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on I Love Meat

As you so aptly put it; It is amazing how much better our place looks since the pandemic. It is also amazing how much smaller the weeds have become as we cut them before they get a chance to reveal their specie.
    Actually, I can’t imagine anyone having too much time on their hands these days. For some reason, hot or cold, I am busy from daylight (around 6am) until I get into bed at night! If anyone should tell me they have time on their hands, I can tell them ways to prevent that.
    Thanks, Tommy, keep on writing!

2020/09/20 at 4:14 pm
  • From Janice Farmer on Simple Things

I really enjoyed reading Simple Things, JoAnn. It brought back
    so many memories of my childhood. It definitely was a simpler time of life.

2020/09/14 at 1:33 pm
  • From Christine on Under The Walnut Trees ...By JoAnn

That’s so sad about the walnut trees!

2020/09/05 at 2:46 pm
  • From pat wring on School Clothes

We grew up in New York. Although Westchester County was largely a bedroom commute to New York City.
    As children , myself, mother, Grandmother, Aunt and cousin would frequent thrift stores in White Plains, N.Y.
    Always remember how a bargain was a thrill to find. Even second-hand ice skates were given at Christmas.
    Cousins and myself used those skates at Opperman’s Pond, Pleasantville, N.Y. Such fun. They finally were thrown away after several winters of skating. Our feet grew and we broke right out of the front of skates.
    Good memories

2020/08/02 at 2:03 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on The Two Most Important Days in My Life

Your article got me to thinking! What is the purpose of MY life? I would have to say that God put us here to manifest Him. I guess, for the past 50, or more, years, I have been doing that! Oftentimes, I did not know I was doing it! BTW, are the Keen Mountain Boys the ones from Buchanan County led by Remus Keene?I went to school with them.

2020/07/19 at 8:06 pm
  • From Dale Divine on School Clothes

Fantastic JoAnn. Me being from the coal mining hills of Kentucky can really relate to to all of your style of clothes shopping. I can remember my mother going to “rummage sales” or “rag sales” and picking out a few clothes for us. They may have been hand me downs from somebody but, they were great for us getting new(to us) items. I can remember wearing our jeans so much that they eventually became “high water” pants after several washings.
    Thank you so much for your vivid posts.
    Stay safe and stay Healthy…

2020/07/19 at 6:55 pm
  • From Dale Divine on The Two Most Important Days in My Life

Very good as usual TJ.
    Ain’t life great being a hillbilly. I think from my life growing up in the mountains of Kentucky has given me a greater perspective on life.
    Keep up the good work.
    All is well in sunny Florida. I’m still getting to play golf every day.

2020/07/19 at 6:33 pm
  • From Christine on The Two Most Important Days in My Life

You are the most “enlightened” gpa I personally know. 🙂

2020/07/19 at 6:12 pm
  • From Christine on School Clothes

What a sweet post! Love.

2020/07/19 at 6:11 pm
  • From Cindy Corley on Sixteen Again

This is a very nice article, JoAnn, and I enjoyed it so much! It stirred up memories of me helping my kids and vice versa plus my parents helping me and vice versa…..so many precious memories flooding my mind!! Thanks so much for sharing.

2020/07/05 at 11:10 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Sixteen Again

It has been said by many, “We are parents until we die!” This is so true! My parents were true to me even
    if I was 3,000 miles away.

2020/07/05 at 7:24 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Sixteen Again

WOW, Very good JoAnn. I’m sure we’ve all had to catch our children’s lifeline at times when they were in need of our support. I sure have with my two sons and now my Stepdaughter and Stepson.
    TJ, your and JoAnn’s writings are so descriptive, they make you feel like you’re right there too.
    Keep up the great work. I always look forward to reading your missives.

2020/07/05 at 5:18 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on The Big Iguana

Tommy,
    I cannot remember Jesus ever saying “You will go to Heaven”, but in Luke Chapter 17:20-21, Jesus did say,
    The Kingdom comes not with observation (seeing with the eyes) because the Kingdom is within you!
    It is all a spiritual kingdom!
    I like your Iguana missive, it shows a good lesson in life!

2020/06/27 at 7:24 pm
  • From Sue Lester Medford on The Big Iguana

Very good Tommy! Keep them coming.

2020/06/27 at 11:51 am
  • From Frank Shortt on "Two Happy Days Are Seldom Brothers"

Nice Wow’s! I remember cutting brush with a huge scythe before going into the Air Force for 50cents an hour. Had it not been for the man’s wife, he would not have even paid me. I believe that you and I were blessed to
    have gone to the Air Force when we did.

2020/06/16 at 9:28 am
  • From Christine on Happy Weekend!

This is a good one!

2020/06/11 at 6:05 pm
  • From Christine on Everyone Loved Lucy

Awwwww!!! This is such a good post! So sweet and endearing.

2020/06/11 at 9:18 am
  • From Dale Divine on Happy Weekend!

FANTASTIC TJ. Keep up the good work.

2020/06/06 at 4:06 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Happy Weekend!

It is amazing the simple things that make us happy as we grow older. My wife and I are content to just take a ride somewhere on Sundays, even it if means driving through KFC or a Taqueria along the way. We are isolated in the mountains of Eldorado County in Northern California. A short ride is a big deal when you’ve been isolated for awhile.

2020/06/06 at 12:44 pm
  • From Sue Lester Medford on Joy and Happiness

Very good. It was from the heart.

2020/05/30 at 5:14 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Joy and Happiness

the greatest joy I have ever experienced in my life is “Amazing Grace” that God has shown me. It has lasted
    for over fifty years.

2020/05/30 at 3:03 pm
  • From Christine on Smile Anyway ! ...by JoAnn

Great!

2020/05/25 at 4:10 pm
  • From Dale Divine on I love Chocolate

WOW… Hershey’s chocolate is my all time favorite candy. My kids know how much I like that chocolate so they usually buy me one of those super giant Hershey bars for my birthday and/or Christmas. And like you JoAnn if I happen to walk down the candy aisle in the store, I have to grab a bag of Hershey’s candy even though my doctor tells me to stay away from sweets to avoid becoming diabetic.

2020/05/25 at 5:48 am
  • From David Miller on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

Elsie Dee, your mother was the mainstay of Garden High School and at church. I always remember the square dancing she taught us in the gym………… everything from the Virginia Reel to Glow Little Glow Worm!
    Mom was 69 when Dad died and she had never learned how to drive a car. Dad always drove her where she needed to go. She wanted to learn how to drive so Bill Henry and I both tried to teach her down in the school bottom. We gave up.
    Then one day, she called me and said she had her driver’s license. How did you do that? Grace taught me how to drive. Your mother had enough patience to teach one of her best friends how to drive.

2020/05/23 at 10:42 am
  • From Elsie Dee Kreutter on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

Good stories David. Brings back lots of memory for me, too. We lived by the Page. My grandfather was the fix it man in the mine shop at Page. Anything that broke or was damaged he fixed it. Both of our mothers taught elementary grades 4th & 5th until mother was moved to high school. They were life long friends. Like you the Garden Community Center/Methodist Church was very much a part of my life. I do believe every time the door was open for any event we were there. Loved the church, Sunday school (we had good teachers there, also) Girl Scouts and MYF was a lot of fun. And Church Camp was great!
    Not that it really matters, but Rev. Beadles was a bit older than you remember. Both he and Mrs. Beadles were near 50 when they were moved to a church in TN. She was 43 when she had her first child. While attending college in Illinois Rev. Beadles drove a taxi cab in Chicago. So Buchanan county roads were no problem to him. Continue your writing and I look forward to reading your book.

2020/05/03 at 11:27 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

Hi David, Nice writing!
    I too lived in Buchanan County at Shortt Gap. I was raised similar to you on a hillside farm. I had nine brothers and sisters and we all attended Garden High School at one time or another. You probably graduated with my sister Ruthann. I graduated in 1960. Hope your book is a success! I write for www.spectatorron.com. Hope to be able to write a book sometime.

2020/05/02 at 7:55 pm
  • From Brenda Whitley Klassen on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

I remember those days so well. With us having to create our own entertainment we learned how to develop lasting friendships, although we didn’t realize it at the time. We roamed the mountains all the time “exploring” and no one had a watch. We just had a sense of time for being home for dinner (deep trouble if you missed dinner). We had many games in the coal camp with very liberal rules adjustments each time we played. Of course we had disagreements and “fallouts” that would last about an hour and then we gathered again to play a different game!
    Lotsa memories, but I will spare you for the time being.
    Brenda Whitley Klassen
    PS. I still love playing games. At the time I have 3 different game groups going that I started.

2020/05/02 at 2:20 pm
  • From Sue Lester Medford on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

Very well written. I remember the game ” Kicking the can down the road”. those were the days. Has the book been published?

2020/05/02 at 11:33 am
    • From David Miller on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

No. I’m still working on it. I remember parts of stories my parents told us, but I don’t remember the details. The objective of the book is to let future members of our family know about us. Thanks for your comments.

2020/05/02 at 2:34 pm
  • From Judith Malcolm Barr on Lost in The Fifties, Remembering When...

Thanks for sharing your memories. Enjoyed reminiscing. Lived on Garden Creek across the creek from Edith Taylor. Dad was store manager/butcher for Island Creek.

2020/05/02 at 11:14 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Naturally Thoughtful

Tommy, I enjoyed all your articles. Your “Jonas Salk” mention brought back a lot of memories of that polio epidemic. We could not get near the creek, or drink from any mountain stream. Our mothers did a big job back then keeping us safe from harm

2020/04/25 at 2:46 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Christian of The Year

Hey TJ, very uplifting WOW.
    Thanks

2020/04/18 at 9:36 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Christian of The Year

Hi Tommy, I am positive that the Christian of the year is the one who is Christlike! We can only be that if He lives in us. In St. John 14 He told us that He would. This is what He meant when He said that if He was mistreated, we would be mistreated. If He was treated well, we would be treated well. Heb. 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever! Great job on the lawn mower!

2020/04/18 at 3:58 pm
  • From Christine on Relic From The Past

Hear, hear! Good post! And of course we don’t think of you as a relic..just a lovely grandpa full of wisdom.

2020/04/11 at 5:11 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Relic From The Past

I just finished a texting bout with my only granddaughter. Her final act was to send me a kitten with hearts all around it. This is living!
    Tommy, as long as we are in the flesh, we will do things to displease others. We all have a conscience, whether we use it or not, and it will guide us to repent of our weaknesses!

2020/04/10 at 11:47 pm
  • From Joann on Appointment in Samarra

Great article Mr. Tommy. I think I’m the one consuming most of your leftover chocolate. I admit, it is my worst addiction. Keep on writing this great stuff.

2020/03/29 at 2:54 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Appointment in Samarra

Yes we all have an appt.in Samarra, question is, are we ready for it

2020/03/28 at 4:38 pm
  • From PATRICIA WRING on Appointment in Samarra

Tommy your latest blog, Samarra. So important
    a message for those of us in our 70’s.
    I can envision Jerilyn in her garden, thanks to your words. She was always
    sweet. You missed your calling. A way of
    with words. The western part of this state,seeps thru in your choice expressions. Keep hunkering down both
    of you.

2020/03/28 at 3:25 pm
  • From Christine on My New Watch

Btw, you can make phone calls with the Apple watch. Also, I have blue eyes but I don’t think I was included in your three smart people lol!

2020/03/21 at 11:43 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on My New Watch

I was given an Apple watch for Christmas by a Chinese brother. I am not adapting to it easily as I probably do not have the patience. So there she sits!
    Covid9 has us isolated in our home in Eldorado County, Ca. watch for the next issue of Spectatorron for the story. My eyes are a mixture of blue, green, hazel, etc. I must be the smartest man you ever met 🙂 Watch out for the Green-eyed monster!

2020/03/21 at 6:24 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Watching TV

Two thumbs up TJ.

2020/03/11 at 10:59 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Watching TV

Yes, Tommy, T.V. has taken the place of a lot of important things, the main one I can think of is reading the Bible. At this time I don’t believe it would hurt us to spend more time with the Word of God!

2020/03/08 at 1:43 am
  • From Cindy on Watching TV

Very nice article, Tommy.

2020/03/07 at 6:16 pm
  • From Dale Divine on I love Dogs

Another great read TJ.
    I can relate to the doggy stories. My wife wouldn’t hesitate to spend $1000, $5000 even $10000 on our fur babies if she thought it would bring them comfort.
    I’ve even grilled fillets for us and had to grill one for them as well.

2020/02/29 at 11:24 am
    • From Tommy on I love Dogs

My son felt the exact same way your wife feels. He loved his dog completely.

2020/02/29 at 12:55 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on I love Dogs

Tommy, I enjoyed your WOW’s, especially the one about the refrigerator. I too have experienced those times! It sure is hard getting up off the floor sometimes!

2020/02/28 at 6:47 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Kindness

TJ, you’re just fantastic with your stories.
    I remember in the late 60s working down in
    the shipyard as a pipefitter helper takting the salt tablets that were by most of the water stations. Now I try to avoid salt as much as possible.
    And you and your wife have a fantastic daily routine. I doubt if I can name 20 presidents, much less all of them and in order.
    Keep up the great work.
    Dale D.

2020/02/24 at 12:30 pm
    • From Tommy on Kindness

Thanks Dale, I didn’t know you started in the Pipefitters.

2020/02/27 at 1:44 pm
  • From christine on Growing Your Vocabulary

Do you know what “juice it up a little” means or where it comes from?

2020/02/16 at 8:42 pm
  • From Louise Joynes on Dress Code

Good post. I don’t know much about football either. However, I was pulling for the Chiefs also. I did like their “costumes” but I was on their side because their last super bowl win was 50 years ago…Go CHIEFS….

2020/02/15 at 1:05 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Growing Your Vocabulary

My favorite Robert Frost poem is “Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening” because of its simplicity of structure and the nostalgia it brings. I am not sure if grammar has gotten better or worse, but I have decided, “There ain’t such a word as ain’t, but I’m not gonna quit saying ain’t!” Mom also delayed our misery by saying “Wait ’til your dad gets home!” Phew!

2020/02/14 at 6:17 pm
  • From christine on Who Are We?

This post was very funny!

2020/02/10 at 3:52 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Dress Code

Very good TJ..

2020/02/08 at 12:41 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Dress Code

I was on the bandwagon about how young girls overexposed their bodies many years ago. It was proven by a college professor, and I believe he was a psychologist, that the upswing in rapes, assaults, etc. was due to the fact that too much body was being shown. If not, why all the assaults and harrassment going on? As you so aptly put it, young men are not as careful about those things as us old dudes. Nature in the raw is seldom mild!

2020/02/08 at 12:40 am
  • From Dale Divine on Who Are We?

Another fantastic blog TJ.

2020/01/31 at 9:23 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Teachers Make Excellent Friends

Tommy, Just think of all the good that Mrs. Wooldridge, Mrs. Simpson, Mr. Brown, and others did for Garden High School. We were fortunate to have Mrs. Simpson as our English/Literature teacher, Mrs Wooldridge as our music teacher, and Mr. Brown in math. I had Mr. Williams in history and all I heard about was sports!:) I sometimes think that Mr. Quillen put a lot of teachers in the wrong spots, such as Mrs. Wooldridge in art class. Oh well, we made it through HIgh School, the USAF, and now almost through our lives and we still look back to our teachers as inspiration.

2020/01/18 at 9:05 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Teachers Make Excellent Friends

Very good TJ. You always paint a vivid picture. Makes me feel like I was right there enjoying nature.

2020/01/18 at 8:24 pm
  • From Louise Joynes on Lessons From Andy

You can find Andy and friends and family on at various times daily…Louise

2019/12/27 at 3:07 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Silver Bells

Fantastic JoAnn. I grew up in Harlan County Kentucky (A short way from Johnson City) and remember those times as well.
    You can listen to lots of Christmas songs on Pandora on an Iphone. And I have it Bluetoothed to my stereo in my golf cart.
    I miss the snow a little but love being able to play golf year round(mostly in shorts) in Florida.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

2019/12/20 at 3:13 pm
  • From Christine on Silver Bells

Awwww….great story.

2019/12/18 at 6:21 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Slow Down Young Man!

The greatest asset that we Americans have lost is RESPECT! Especially on the highways and byways. It seems that no one has time to wait for their fellow human being, always in a hurry, always frantic. Does everyone wait for the last minute to go to school or work? I sometimes find myself feeling rushed, anxious, and feel like I have to be at my destination yesterday! All we can do at these times is to sit relaxed, take a deep breath, and let the rest of the world go by! Nice reflection, Joann

2019/11/30 at 9:23 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Work Ethic

Another great one TJ. Prayers for your wife and family.

2019/11/12 at 4:02 am
  • From Dale Divine on Assumed & Expectation

Fantastic read TJ. Congrats on the new PC.

2019/10/05 at 8:18 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Assumed & Expectation

Tommy, although we are now senior citizens, it behooves us to concentrate more on living than to focus on the ultimate end. It is for certain that our Creator has a purpose for each of our lives and we will, without fail, carry out that purpose!

2019/10/04 at 10:55 pm
  • From Reese J. Whitley on Assumed & Expectation

My mother used to say, “If you can’t read–you can’t learn well–or at all.” I was reading library books when my parents put me in the first grade at school–one month after my 5th birthday. Been reading ever since–never stopped–never will.

2019/10/04 at 9:00 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Just Because

The greatest boquet of flowers we can receive is from our Heavenly Father in the form of one of His promises being fulfilled. Looks like you have a very thoughtful and loving daughter. God used her to touch your heart with the flowers.

2019/09/21 at 2:54 am
  • From Dale Divine on Friendships Are Necessary For A Good Life

WOWWW TJ, you and JoAnn truly amaze me with your life experience stories. I was back in the hills of Kentucky a couple of weeks ago and like you, I imagine seeing the places we used to play. Climbing trees, swinging on grapevines and yes catching crawdads to go fishing with.
    Keep up the good work.

2019/08/17 at 2:05 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Friendships Are Necessary For A Good Life

Thanks for the trip back in time. I too remember foldly some of the families I visited as a child.

2019/08/16 at 1:43 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on My Life & Sliced Bread

Tommy, your little articles raise a few questions that can only be answered by the individual themselves. I guess we all handle problems differently, but seem to come out with the same solutions. Life is interesting!

2019/08/14 at 11:14 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Missing You

Nice Poem and thought!

2019/08/11 at 7:04 pm
  • From Harris on Missing You

JoAnn.
    You really got me with that. I felt your loss. And it touched a fear deep down of losing someone we love.
    Susan is away for just a few days at a retreat, but the house is so quiet. I think that opened me up to
    receive the full impact of your poem. Thank you for sharing. And may the Great Architect comfort
    you.
    Harris

2019/08/10 at 2:17 pm
  • From Christine Marie Hale on My Life & Sliced Bread

The only problem to a shorter work week is if your job is also your passion and you WANT to do it all the time 🙂

2019/08/09 at 11:28 pm
  • From Christine on Daddy's Keys

Aw! This makes me miss papaw so much!

2019/08/03 at 4:38 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Being Mortal

Tommy, a few years ago I had a fatal heart attack. I was gone until God sent relief by a young Chinese Cardiologist and administered
    N.G. straight into the main artery of my heart which was completely clogged. I had often wondered why God saved me, but a few days later I received an email from a young lady that I had been having Bible study with her and her husband. She told me, “If you have ever wondered why God brought you back, it was for me!” I stopped wondering then! Keep writing!

2019/07/31 at 2:03 am
    • From Tommy on Being Mortal

Frank, we never know what God has in store for us. I have wondered why I outlived my precious son.

2019/07/31 at 12:26 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Being Mortal

Another great article TJ.

2019/07/30 at 9:09 pm
  • From Christine on It's All About The Memories

Aw, what a wonderful post!

2019/06/18 at 5:17 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on It's All About The Memories

Cracker Barrel! We finally got one in the neighborhood of about an hour in Sacramento. We went to it and found out that they use the same recipes as the one in Kingsport, Tennessee! Felt like old times as that is where my mom always wanted to go when we would visit her after she moved to Tenn.
    You bring a lot of memories, Tommy!

2019/06/14 at 6:01 pm
  • From Reese Whitley on Splish Splash I Was Taking A Bath

My daughter-in-law (launches rockets to manned space stations) once told me the earth spins (at my Bedford latitude) at a rate of 825 mph. Without considering all the variables, makes me wonder why I haven’t been slung into space.

2019/06/14 at 1:43 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Stay Calm, Help Is On The Way

Wow Tommy!
    You must have been raised in the same neck of the woods that I was. I went into the Air Force in 1950 at a whopping 121 pounds. When I left basic training I believe I weighed 138. It is amazing how regimentation will round a fellow out! As far as your getting help from a stranger. I recently had a computer problem and a friend recommeded a friend of his. He also came to my home and would not let me pay him for his services. He made my computer better and much faster. We took he and his girlfriend to dinner that week! His girlfriend said she fell in love with my wife and I. How does it get any better?

2019/05/25 at 2:52 am
  • From Dale Divine on Stay Calm, Help Is On The Way

TJ, i think you are a GREAT SPEAKER and a GREAT WRITER…

2019/05/24 at 4:58 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Oh, How I Love Coffee

Am I 59,001? Your articles are well written, informative, and sometimes comical. Just one thing I might add: Salvation is individual! When the final judgment takes place, God will not look at the brand that is upon us, but will look at the blood tag in our ear! Same thing happens when pure bred cattle are put upon a reservation where only ‘purity’ counts! Hope this does not shock you.
    Have a nice trip to our old county!
    Frank

2019/05/11 at 11:43 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Oh, How I Love Coffee

Very good and informative TJ. Keep up the good work.

2019/05/10 at 1:55 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on It's Time To Be Thankful!

Thanks, Tommy!
    None of us take time to be truly thankful for all our blessings. As we grow older, I am sure that God winks his eye as we seem to forget things more readily. Do you ever forget to return thanks to God before you eat, then later, after you have eaten, do so? This happens to me sometimes!

2019/04/27 at 12:37 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Unforgettable

So many lives touched by this terrible plague of addiction. What amazes me is that addiction takes on many faces!
    As you said, Only God knows!

2019/04/19 at 10:03 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Uncle "Jimmy"

Nice accolade to all the Uncle Jimmy’s of Country Music. Well said.

2019/04/19 at 9:57 pm
  • From Robin on Treasure Hunt

Wow!!! Learned something NEW again about you and Mamaw and Aunt Jeanie!! I love you!!

2019/04/13 at 2:43 pm
  • From Robin on Goodbye Old Friend!

I loved reading so much detail about Aunt Mary that I didn’t know. I’m so sorry for your heart and how it is feeling right now. You have a special place in many hearts including mines. I love you BIG Grandpa!!

2019/04/13 at 2:38 pm
  • From Robin on My Keeper

I’m in tears. Absolutely beautifully written. Completely touched my heart. I want to paint this and put it on my wall to see every day. I love you so much. You are very talented.

2019/04/13 at 2:27 pm
  • From Christine on My Keeper

Beautiful!

2019/04/13 at 3:32 am
  • From Christine on Goodbye Old Friend!

Much love and prayers your way for Mary’s passing.

2019/04/13 at 3:30 am
  • From Harris on Goodbye Old Friend!

Always a pleasure reading your words, Tommy. Miss you two, and hope we can get down that way this summer to say hey.

So sorry about Mary. I lost a very dear friend, Jerry, on the 21st of March, and haven’t been able to get through the sadness yet. He had a rough journey for the last decade, but he was a fighter. Trust he is in a better place now.

2019/04/13 at 1:51 am