All Comments

• From Debby Kiehner on First Bird Out... by JoAnn

Beautiful post JoAnn!
    2022/06/08 at 9:33 am
  • From Debby Kiehner on Celebrating Family... by Chelsea

I thoroughly enjoyed your missive Chelsea. I look forward to seeing you and Jake!
    Love,
    Debby

2022/06/05 at 11:19 am
  • From JoAnn on Celebrating Family... by Chelsea

I love this my daughter! Hope to see more from you in the future!

2022/06/01 at 10:18 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Slow To Anger

Tommy, I too have quite a few country and western CD’s. I aspired to being a country music star in my early days. God changed all that one day!
    I believe that the Jimmy you mentioned is Jimmy McGlothlin. He is a distant cousin of ours as my Grandmother was a McGlothlin.
    I suppose that the most blessed member of our 1960 class is me. God blessed everything I ever did to better myself. I have even survived a fatal heart attack by God’s Grace!

2022/05/28 at 9:32 pm
  • From Judy on Slow To Anger

Thanks for entertaining me with you writing and your perspectives on life. We are blessed to be living the good life! Take care and be healthy….Judy

2022/05/25 at 5:40 pm
  • From Debby Kiehner on One-on-One Time...by JoAnn

I love reading your stories JoAnn. You have a beautiful bond with your children…….all of them. God bless.

2022/05/20 at 6:13 pm
  • From Colly Tuck on Best Friends...By Taylor

Taylor,
    This is awesome and very insightful. No wonder old grandpop is proud! If I can, I’m going to forward it to my 12-year-old granddaughter who lives in Pennsylvania. She is also shy and has problems making and keeping friends. This will give her hope! I have been friends with your great grandad for about 30 years, and he is a very fine man. Jerilyn has been my friend since I moved here from North Carolina. In fact, we were neighbors, and she came over and introduced herself and her family to me. I never would have gone to her house to introduce myself. But she was a winner and I still consider her one of my closest friends even though–or maybe because–we’ve known each other since 1975! I think that will be 47 years this June! Wow! How did I get so old? Good luck with your new friends. I’m sure you will make more, but having a few good and sincere friends is better than having a lot of casual ones!

2022/05/08 at 2:15 pm
  • From PATRICIA Catherine WRING on Will You Remember Me?

To Tommy and Frank Short.
    Your region of this state of Virginia and our nation has blessed us all.
    The gift of writing, composing and expressing your thoughts is such a pleasure.
    Tell me again, why so many gifted residents of this area, are located in these
    hills.
    Take care
    Pat Wring

2022/05/06 at 9:29 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Will You Remember Me?

Tommy, your missive does a good job of making one think. As you mentioned Mrs. Simpson, I was taken back to something she wrote on my autograph book in High School, “I admire your ability to say a lot in a few words” I assume she was speaking of my poetry. The average poem that I write takes me about 15 minutes for usually 4 stanzas. When I get started it just flows naturally.
    I enjoyed your missive and encourage you to write more.
    Frank

2022/05/01 at 2:31 pm
  • From patricia wring on What's Behind The Curtain?

Hi Tommy,

I too share the worry over the events in the Ukraine.
    My daughter Kate and her late husband Kenneth lived there for 1 year, the year was 1993.
    During Chernobyl I think. She has good memories of there. Husband was a linguist, Russian his specialty.
    Kate worked for Price Waterhouse. The Dachaus (spelling) were the vacation, summer homes,
    Very beautiful she told us. Keep sending the weekly news.

2022/03/05 at 11:52 am
  • From Kathy Royal on The Hug... by JoAnn

🤗🤗🤗. Sending you a virtual hug Joann. 🥰🥰🥰

2022/03/01 at 11:07 pm
  • From Dale Divine on What's Behind The Curtain?

Very good TJ. I really enjoyed that.

2022/03/01 at 1:57 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Courage... by JoAnn

At the risk of being called “preachy” I must say that all strength comes from the One who has all power.
    He said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you to the consummation of all things!”
    We must believe this in order to maintain strength!

2022/02/27 at 9:20 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on What's Behind The Curtain?

Tommy, we are only on this planet by the grace of the Creator. He allows adversity to come along to see how much we will turn to Him. I am convinced that there is no life outside His Life!
    Have a wonderful week ahead!
    Frank

2022/02/27 at 9:14 pm
  • From Pat Wring on A Little Red Outhouse ...by JoAnn

Hi JoAnn,
    My mother had an outhouse when she grew up in Pleasantville, N.Y.
    She moved there with her sister’s and parents from New York City in 1922.
    That was quite a change. Indoor plumbing was naturally in New York City.
    I remember it was in the woods away from my grandmother’s house.
    Recall playing around it and sometimes used when playing outdoors.
    That would be in the 1940’s. Memories.

2022/02/23 at 10:29 am
  • From Frank Shortt on A Little Red Outhouse ...by JoAnn

Joanne, we also kept the outhouse for emergency purposes. Dad continued to use it even after they got an indoor bathroom. He seemed to like the old ways, although, he did use the bathtub and the sink in the new bathroom. When my wife and I got out of the Air Force in 1964, Mom and Dad still had the outhouse. My wife, when she saw the facilities at the old homeplace, went immediately into culture shock!

2022/02/20 at 1:22 pm
  • From Dale Divine on A Little Red Outhouse ...by JoAnn

Good one JoAnn. When I was growing up in the hills of Kentucky all we had was the outhouse. I can remember using the old Sears Roebuck and Company and Montgomery Wards catalogs because we couldn’t afford the nice toilet paper. At least they were printed in black and white thin cheap paper. LOL

2022/02/20 at 12:54 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on A Birthday Celebration... by JoAnn

Joanne, we all have made mistakes raising our children. Sometimes we are too strict, sometimes too lenient, but, surprisingly, they get raised and become productive members of society! YEs, God has His hand in all of it!
    Thanks,
    Frank

2022/02/06 at 9:53 pm
  • From PATRICIA Catherine WRING on Oh, Fudge!

JoAnn,
    How lovely of you and your sister to accept your Mother’s intention to revamp her fudge. A tea party
    a great memory. She sure made lemonade out of a lemon as the saying goes. Very gracious of you
    and your sister to enjoy her tea party.

2022/01/29 at 8:34 pm
  • From frank shortt on Misery & Happiness

Hi Tommy,
    You always have interesting topics. You have a tendency to make us older folks, of all things, THINK!
    Happy New Year!

2022/01/02 at 12:58 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Misery & Happiness

Very good TJ, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
    How do you get your steps in when it’s pouring down rain?
    Keep up the good work.

2022/01/01 at 9:58 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Oh, Fudge!

WOW JoAnn, Momma’s fudge brought back lots of memories for me as well. My mother loved making Chocolate, Peanut Butter and also seafoam taffy. I have no idea where she got the taffy recipe. Every Christmas back in the hills of Kentucky near the Virginia border we would go out and cut a nice spruce tree down and make a stand for it. At Christmas a couple of the main presents we would get would be a peppermint stick about a foot long and about 2 inches thick along with a sock full of nuts that had to be cracked. There were English walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and pecans in each of our socks. Oh and a bag of hard candy… We might get one small toy that we would wear out before New Years day. LOL….
    Thank you sooooo much for all the wonderful memories in each of your blogs.
    I hope you have a Fantastic MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY and PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR…

2021/12/04 at 6:50 pm
  • From Dale Divine on New Friends!

Very good TJ. Yep my smile reaches all the way from Florida to Virginia.
    This week our temps will be low to mid 80s. It will be great because Margie’s daughter is coming tonite from Virginia (Saturday) until next Saturday. She will enjoy the weather so she can swim in the pools.
    You be careful climbing up to clean the gutters.
    Take care.
    Until next time,
    Dale D.

2021/12/04 at 5:57 pm
    • From Tommy on New Friends!

Dale, you are one of my best friends. You always respond to our missives and I’m always grateful for your kind words of encouragement…Tommy

2021/12/06 at 10:59 pm
  • From Cindy Corley on One More Year!

I can relate to the theory that if you work hard enough, you can solve many problems. I, too, have had to readjust as I realized that my hard work alone isn’t enough. I’m so glad you and Jerilyn were able to join forces to build a beautiful life together.

Marco Polo sounds like a great idea for you to keep in touch with the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I’m impressed that you’re so technicologically advanced!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Cindy

2021/11/22 at 2:14 am
  • From Cindy Corley on Thankful Thanksgiving!

This is very nice, JoAnn. I agree about Thanksgiving: it doesn’t have the pressure of Christmas. It’s great just to spend time with loved ones. I miss my daddy and grandparents so much, but I have many wonderful memories. Hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving!

2021/11/22 at 1:59 am
  • From Dale Divine on One More Year!

TJ, great missive. I don’t think I have ever in my life felt so bad that if things ended all would be better. I am certainly glad you got out of that gray area. My wife and I were doing Marco Polo with LZ, his wife and a couple others I think. Now that she can’t see good enough to text she has stopped. Yep always sad to go back by the “old Home Place”. You and Jerilyn have made some great memories together and I hope you make many more.
    Wishing you and your families a happy Thanksgiving.
    Your ol buddy Dale…

2021/11/21 at 4:27 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Thankful Thanksgiving!

Jo Ann that was beautiful. Brings back lots of Thanksgiving memories for me. And if I still lived in Kentucky near you, I would definitely take you out for a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Lots of love to you and your families.

2021/11/21 at 3:57 pm
  • From frank shortt on Thankful Thanksgiving!

Thankfulness for Thanksgiving

As we arise each day anew
    Is there a smile upon our face?
    Are we allowing time for God
    And giving Him his rightful place?

Are we being patient with others
    As God is longsuffering with us?
    Is our life one of meekness
    Or are we always raising a fuss?

Where is the love we should have
    Toward our fellow man?
    We show more love for animals
    Than to those who’ll understand.

What happened to the joy we knew
    When first we did believe?
    We mostly sit around and fret
    And stew, and worry and grieve.

The peace that passes understanding
    Has somehow passed us by
    Let’s once more seek the Prince of Peace
    While He is standing nigh.

Frank Shortt

2021/11/21 at 12:14 pm
  • From frank shortt on One More Year!

I have found out that no matter how many decisions I make, God will always have the last say! He is the potter, we are the clay!
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS!

2021/11/21 at 12:10 pm
  • From Dale Divine on How Each Day of The Week Feels Different

Very good TJ… You always have a way to help me bring back my childhood memories.
    If I didn’t play golf often, I would forget what day it is. I thought yesterday was Sunday because I seldom golf on Sundays. And I didn’t golf yesterday. It’s probably going to take me a few days to get used to the time change.
    Take care my friend. You and Jerilyn stay safe.

2021/11/07 at 9:24 pm
  • From frank shortt on How Each Day of The Week Feels Different

I guess I never told you that Clint Eastwood was a good friend of an artist friend of mine. His name was Arthur Boos and his work can be seen on the internet. He did mostly cowboy and native American art. I have quite a few pieces by him. Clint used to buy most of Art’s pieces before they could get to any gallery. His two sons were also great artists. I once wrote a biography/raisonne about Art for his family and friends.
    Keep writing!

2021/11/07 at 9:02 pm
  • From Dale Divine on My Best Friend Hannah!... by Taylor

TJ, that is TRUE friendship… I have friends that I haven’t stayed in good contact with and then it’s hard to break the ice sometimes and get them back into my life even if they live far away.
    Keep up the good work and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING if i don’t get a chance to communicate with you before then.

2021/11/03 at 10:35 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Squeaky Clean!

Very good JoAnn. I like my daily shower. I stay under the hot water a little extra longer for my bones aching with arthritis.

2021/11/03 at 10:24 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on ~Evil Scheme~

Yep, sometimes our hang-up is the most obvious thing we are doing! When we begin to stuff a sack, it will bulge outward as it begins to become over stuffed. I guess we need to take a lesson from the “Bags” we are stuffing!
    You and I learned a great lesson in the USAF as we loaded our duffel bags for another duty station. We sometimes had to leave some articles behind as we just couldn’t fit them in the bag.

2021/09/19 at 9:44 am
  • From PATRICIA Catherine WRING on ~Evil Scheme~

I am very happy that you and Jerilyn have adjusted so well to your new lifestyle.
    I am a little bit jealous that you had a wise plan years ago to reserve your spot at this continuing -care facility
    Great planning. I am not that forward thinking.
    Stay well.

2021/09/18 at 9:42 pm
  • From Dale Divine on ~Evil Scheme~

Hey TJ love your missive. Sounds like you’re trying to beat “The System” at the retirement center.
    And I know if anybody can keep one up on them, you certainly can.
    Good luck with your weight situation. I know how hard it is to resist the temptation of sweets.
    I have a bag of Hershey Nuggets in my desk and have one or two every day. I figure if I’m sneaking them out and eating them the calories won’t count. LOL……

2021/09/18 at 4:29 pm
  • From Debby Kiehner on Unplugged

I feel the same Dad.

2021/09/07 at 6:10 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Unplugged

Recently my wife and I almost lost our home in Grizzly Flats, Ca. as fires raged all over. God spared our house and burned our neighbors’ homes. As my wife expressed her frustration about the situation, I told her that we did not decide whose house should burn and whose would not. That was a call far away from our hands.
    I agree that it is a good idea to unplug once in a while and just let the earth go on as usual. We do not control the weather or a lot of other things. I am just happy that these things are in more capable hands than mine.
    Keep looking up!

2021/09/05 at 7:53 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Unplugged

JoAnn my prayers are with you along with all the other catastrophes that have happened and the ones that are still happening. Just keep saying GOD brought me to it, HE WILL GET ME THROUGH IT…

2021/09/05 at 12:40 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Shifting Shadows... by Taylor

Taylor, so glad that GOD has helped you get rid of the demons in your past.
    Keep the FAITH and keep writing these great missives.

2021/08/29 at 2:15 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Pen Pals

Hi JoAnn, letter writing is becoming a lost art. Younger generation can’t even write a thank you for birthday, Christmas, or even a wedding gift. Sometimes you never know if they received them.
    I can remember see ads for pen pals when I was younger. As you said, it would be totally insane to give out the personal info like you did back then.
    Also wanted you to know that I’m like others reading your missives. You give such vivid details it makes one think they’re right there with you.
    Keep up the good work and stay safe and dry as Ida storm remnants may be headed your way.

2021/08/29 at 2:08 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Do You Spend Your Time Well?

Good job TJ. I can remember after I retired, catching myself heading to the shipyard. Ingrained or pre programmed.

2021/08/29 at 1:25 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Shifting Shadows... by Taylor

Getting into our minds is the most dangerous place to be. Our heart is what God chose to use!
    If we follow our heart as we follow the Word of God, that is a VERY SAFE place to be!

2021/08/28 at 9:18 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Pen Pals

With all the technology, to have a pen pal would be almost a miracle. It is much easier to call or text!

2021/08/28 at 9:13 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Do You Spend Your Time Well?

We have both served our country in the armed forces, worked hard and raised our families, contributed to our community in many ways, ain’t it time for a rest? Our activities should include some reading, some walking, some mixing with neighbors, a little fixing things up around the house, and a LOT OF REST! Our bodies have earned it!

2021/08/28 at 9:10 pm
  • From Debby Kiehner on My 80th Birthday

You guys have much longer than you think. Of course, your loving family will be there. I know I will!

2021/08/15 at 11:45 am
  • From Debby Kiehner on The Saddest Day of My Life!

I could not have expressed my feelings any better.

2021/08/15 at 11:32 am
  • From Debby Kiehner on World, Take My Son By The Hand

This makes me cry every time I read it. It is absolutely beautiful.

2021/08/15 at 11:22 am
  • From Dale Divine on Sisterly Love... by Taylor

Siblings are the greatest Taylor.
    You definitely have the knack for writing like your Grandmother and Great Grandfather.
    Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more of your missives.

2021/08/08 at 8:27 pm
  • From Dale Divine on The Shutterbug

Very nice JoAnn. If you ever get a chance, you should come to The Villages, Fl. This is truly a photographers paradise. Tommy visited us here but he didn’t get a chance to really see the beauty here.
    Dale D.

2021/08/08 at 8:20 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on The Shutterbug

Sometimes the camera will catch things that the eye cannot detect. This has been true as I have taken pictures for the newspapers that I write for. Relaxation is the key to good photographs!

2021/08/08 at 6:46 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Best Friends...By Taylor

Try to stay in touch with you friends as much as possible, Taylor. It’s really awkward trying to reconnect after drifting apart.

2021/07/12 at 6:27 pm
  • From Dale Divine on My 80th Birthday

Hey TJ. Great missive.
    I’m glad you and Jerilyn are transitioning into your new home. I think the older generations have a much easier time making new friends. Probably just the way our generations were brought up.
    I remember when you and Jerilyn got together. I could tell then that she was making a positive influence on your life.
    I for one have been happy that you were in my life. I feel blessed being in one of your “happy rooms”.
    And I had a tear in my eye when you were talking to your mom and dad.
    I will be doing that later this month when I’m in Kentucky visiting my older brother.

2021/07/12 at 6:20 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Cuts Like a Knife

For the benefit of everyone else, Joanne, it would be nice to know, if indeed, the post office had truly tried to dupe you. If so, wouldn’t it be in order to get in touch with their boss and make a complaint? Just asking!

2021/07/11 at 4:02 pm
    • From Dale Divine on Cuts Like a Knife

JoAnn, I know how you feel about the rage from being scammed.
      As Frank Shortt mentioned in a reply, you need to take this to a higher authority.
      DON’T let them continue to scam others as they probably already have been doing.
      When the girl realized she had been caught, she and the other postmaster began back peddling to get out of the situation.

2021/07/12 at 6:45 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Best Friends...By Taylor

Someone once said, “to have friends, one must show themselves friendly!”
    Works every time!

2021/07/11 at 3:53 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on My 80th Birthday

He Tommy, I am not far behind you. I will be 79 in July. I can only say one thing for sure: God has always blessed all my efforts to improve myself, spiritually and physically!
    I am glad that you have had such a great life overall. Keep on moving as movement is what
    greases the joints and keeps the muscles supple.

2021/07/11 at 3:47 pm
  • From Christine on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

Aw, you captured his essence well, Taylor!

2021/07/08 at 7:31 pm
  • From Christine on Pack & Unpack

Good writing!

2021/07/08 at 7:11 pm
  • From Christine on My 80th Birthday

Well this post made me cry. Love you.

2021/07/08 at 7:07 pm
  • From Judy Malcolm Barr on My 80th Birthday

Great writing, Tommy Joe! Thanks for jogging my memories and helping me appreciate my blessings. Take care and enjoy life!

2021/07/05 at 11:10 pm
  • From PATRICIA WRING on The Importance of Saying Thank You

You sure have a way with words JoAnn.
    You must have had high grades in composition classes.

2021/06/29 at 9:13 pm
  • From PATRICIA WRING on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

My grandson Andrew, had a Grandpa Jim Taylor. He passed away 3 years ago here in Virginia.
    Andrew misses his Pawpaw very much. As you do also

2021/06/29 at 9:07 pm
  • From JoAnn Hale on An Ode To My Dad... by Taylor

Taylor I love this! You do indeed have the very best Daddy any daughter could ever wish for! I am so proud of and love your Dad so very much. Mamaw

2021/06/23 at 7:52 am
  • From Frank Shortt on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

Taylor,
    I can see that you loved your Grandpa Hale very much. It is certainly nice to be loved and missed.

2021/06/19 at 4:21 pm
  • From JoAnn on Soap Opera Fan!

Thank you so much Dale! It means a lot to me that you enjoy my writings. ~JoAnn

2021/06/19 at 12:21 pm
  • From Robbie Nugent on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

I loved reading this. He was a great man who I was fortunate to cross paths with. I think about him often. He loved you guys very much and I don’t think he was ever happier than planning the “Chopped” events with you guys. He would show me his Snapchat videos with the biggest smile I had ever seen on him. I hold him in the highest of regards.

2021/06/18 at 1:30 pm
  • From Debby Kiehner on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

This is beautiful Sweetheart.

2021/06/17 at 6:31 pm
  • From Jo Hale on A Letter To My Grandpa... by Taylor

Taylor, this is SO beautiful! Its straight from your heart! I love you so much. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

2021/06/17 at 11:48 am
  • From Frank Shortt on Pack & Unpack

Hi Joanne,
    That’s kinda funny for me as I had a downsizing sale today at our home in Grizzly Flat.
    The bug must be biting us both!
    Good reminder for us all!
    Frank

2021/06/12 at 10:11 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on My Basketball Journey... by Taylor

Yes, Taylor,
    That is what living is all about, decisions, decisions! I am sure you will always
    make the best possible ones. When a person is raised right, decisions are much
    easier.

2021/05/30 at 9:51 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Soap Opera Fan!

Joanne, you undoubtedly had a wonderful relationship with your mom.
    Have a wonderful evening!

2021/05/30 at 9:43 pm
    • From JoAnn on Soap Opera Fan!

I truly did Frank! Thank you for reading my missives. I’m glad you enjoyed this one. ~JoAnn

2021/06/19 at 12:20 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Soap Opera Fan!

JoAnn, I never get tired of reading your missives. Even though I’m not a soap opera fan I stilled enjoyed reading about the great bond you ladies have(and had). My son and daughter-in-law record them everyday and watch them at night in bed.

2021/05/29 at 11:57 am
    • From JoAnn on Soap Opera Fan!

Thank you so much Dale! It means a lot to me that you enjoy my writings. ~JoAnn

2021/06/19 at 12:19 pm
  • From Louise Joynes on Coffee And Skunk

I will never smell skunk again without thinking of coffee brewing, and visa versa!!!!!!

2021/05/09 at 6:42 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Another Mothers Day

Good mothers are patient and kind
    Rising early to make food
    For her husband and her offspring
    She looks forward only for good!

If the times suddenly grow hard
    She will help carry her brood through
    Washing, ironing, and mending
    Remaining a mother true-blue!

When one of her children’s away
    She frets for their soon arrival
    With prayers always under her breath,
    She prays for her young’s survival!

If at night, she’ll sit by the door
    Watching the old clock tick away
    Who wouldn’t love someone like that?
    As age turns her hair into gray!

Frank Shortt
    Mother’s Day
    5/9/2021

2021/05/09 at 3:03 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on World's Best Mom... by Taylor

Very well written! I was told by my writing professor that we should always write about things that we know. You surely manifested that in this piece of writing.
    Keep writing!
    Frank

2021/05/09 at 2:58 pm
  • From Dale Divine on My Basketball Journey... by Taylor

A great missive Taylor. You will continue making these changes through out your life.
    And I’m sure that you won’t have any problem.

2021/05/09 at 9:59 am
  • From Dale Divine on The Spring Calf...by JoAnn

I kinda miss the spring time of the year. I use to see daffodils everywhere in Virginia(sometimes poking their pretty yellow heads through snow) and when I would see them, I knew spring was close by. Now after living in Florida for 7 years, I don’t think I have seen one. Just like the plentiful deer around the Hampton Roads area Especially on the golf courses, I haven’t seen but maybe one or two deer here in Florida. Alligators, that’s another story. See them almost daily.
    Anyway, I hope you have a fantastic MOTHER’s DAY.

2021/05/09 at 9:33 am
  • From Dale Divine on World's Best Mom... by Taylor

WOW… Very good Taylor. It’s easy to see that you and your mom have a great bond. Never let it come apart.
    It’s also easy to see that the writers apple didn’t fall from that tree.
    Keep up the good work.

2021/05/09 at 9:14 am
  • From JoAnn Hale on World's Best Mom... by Taylor

Beautifully written Tay! I agree, you really do have the best Mama 💗. I love you the world full & am so proud you appreciate all your mother does for you. You are a wonderful daughter! I love you, Mamaw. xoxo

2021/05/09 at 9:10 am
  • From Linda corbett on My Life's New Chapter

We will miss seeing you and Jerilyn walking around the neighborhood. I know my dog Lexie will really miss seeing Jeilyn. She always looked for her as we walked past your house. Hope all goes well with your next adventure in life and that you will enjoy living there

2021/04/22 at 3:10 pm
  • From Judith Malcolm Barr on My Life's New Chapter

Best wishes to you and Jerilyn. What a blessing to have the opportunity to be safe and enjoy your life. So good to hear from you. Take care…Judy

2021/04/10 at 4:15 pm
  • From Dale Divine on That One in A Lifetime

JoAnn, that was soooo beautiful and I am so sorrrrrry that you lost your best friend.
    Friends like that are hard to come by. I am fortunate enough to have several friends here in The Villages, Fl
    that would do anything in the world for us. Including mine and Tommy’s old boss LZ Smith. We have been good friends since the mid 70’s. WOW now that I think about it, that is a lonnnng time. I just went over to his house this morning and we talked for a while. We play golf together at least 3 times a week.
    I’m sure your friend and Angel Kathy is watching over you and you will have a joyous reunion when you cross over the “Rainbow Bridge”.

2021/03/13 at 1:18 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Biscuits and Gravy

JoAnn, you’re a lady after my own heart. I remember going over to my mothers almost every Sunday along with my younger brother and sister and their children for a good country breakfast.
    My mother made everything from scratch. Biscuits, gravy, syrup, pork tenderloin, bacon and some other delicious foods. In the summer we had fresh sliced tomatoes or fried green tomatoes.
    She usually cooked for about 10 people and didn’t want any help and she thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Now you have me drooling all over my keyboard with the only thing that resembles biscuits and gravy is Hardee’s.
    I know, not even close to our mommas.
    Thanks you sooooo much for all your wonderful missives.

2021/03/06 at 2:29 pm
  • From JoAnn H. on Rainbow Chasers

That is beautiful Dad! I know they must have loved it.

2021/03/05 at 11:25 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Brain Change

Tommy, I think with all I have been through with this old brain, I am content to keep things just as God made them. We must remember Midas’s wish for gold that everything he touched would turn to gold and what happened to his young daughter. Thanks, I’ll keep this one.

2021/02/23 at 3:18 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Brain Change

Hey TJ. I think I’m inclined to think like you currently on a new brain. I’ve kinda grown accustomed to who I was and who I am now. But like you, I think it is coming in the future.
    And I love it when you take our trips back down memory lane. Sure makes me think about my past.
    Hopefully all goes well with the big move and once the pandemic passes you can start traveling again.
    I’m hoping you will venture back down this way to Florida (where the weather is currently 76) and stop by for another visit.
    Since Margie has macular degeneration now and is legally blind along with her other health issues, that traveling is in the forecast with us.
    I sure would like to sit back with you and drink a beer and smoke a cigar. LOL

2021/02/22 at 4:58 pm
    • From Tommy on Brain Change

Thanks Dale, we do plan to come to Florida again to visit. I would love to have a beer and smoke a cigar with you.

2021/02/22 at 11:45 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Hello Doc

Hi JoAnn. I googled Lupus as I wasn’t that familiar with it. I learned a lot about it.
    I’m sorry that you’re in a lot of pain.
    It’s amazing how many doctors are borderline “quacks” and act like a lot of your pains and aches are in your head. You keep on hanging in there girl. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

2021/02/22 at 4:36 pm
  • From Debby Kiehner on The Mask ...by JoAnn

As always I love your missives. Some times you bring tears to my eyes with lovely thoughts that you have never mentioned. You are a wonder all in its self. You have always been the best father, but I see how much you look back on life. You shouldn’t. You have always been a great man and father Rusty and I could have asked God to give us. You don’t have to look any further than that. Trust me. I was there. I couldn’t love you any more and I know Rusty would say the same. I’m pretty sure he’s sitting on my shoulder as I type this.

2021/02/14 at 3:11 am
  • From Frank Shortt on The Mask ...by JoAnn

People have become complacent or just don’t give a hoot! Their mistake!

2021/02/13 at 1:00 pm
  • From Elsie Kreutter on The Mask ...by JoAnn

JoAnn, thank you! You hit the nail on the head. Like you, I can not understand how some people are so blind to the truth of this monstrous virus and choose to be so stubborn and so backward! Will they ever learn?

2021/02/12 at 12:41 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Oink, Oink! ...by JoAnn

Joanne, I used to have to slop the hogs also. When I was raised in Buchanan County Virginia, We all had
    jobs to do. I actually feel pity for the younger generation, as we go through this pandemic, that they are all bored to tears by having nothing to do but electronics! We were blessed back then. Hog killing time was a festive occasion at Grandpa Addison’s house. We children even had to help scrape the hogs before the men dressed them down. We did a lot of talk then with cousins, etc.

2021/01/31 at 10:37 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Our Day Trip

This is what we have been trying to do too,, to eat out is a chore as we have to use our car for the dining
    room. This too will pass!
    Just keep enjoying each other!
    Frank

2021/01/31 at 10:32 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Oink, Oink! ...by JoAnn

JoAnn, that was beautiful. You are always so descriptive right down to smallest details. Back in Kentucky we always had hogs also. I can only remember one time of us having a cow and it was for milking, not eating.
    In the summertime we would have to weed the gardens and those weeds went into the hog pen.
    they would always kill a hog after the first frost of the fall. And hardly anything went to waste from the hogs.
    That was pretty festive for our families and the neighbors that helped out. Another festive event in the fall was making sorghum(molasses) out of sugar cane. We were excited when it was time to have the stir off.
    Oh yes, and I can still picture the cupboard in the kitchen that held dishes and the big ben with flour and the hand cranking sifter.
    WOWWWW, thank you so much for bringing back those wonderful memories for this old (73 on the 28th) man.

2021/01/31 at 1:47 pm
  • From Judith Malcolm Barr on Our Day Trip

Great read Tommy Joe! All is well on Claytor Lake. Got the covid vaccine #1 2 weeks ago. No problem! Hope to get #2 in Feb. Had a friend request from WP and learned that he is cancer free after treatments. Plays golf 2-3 times a week. Tell Jolynn “hello”. Take care and be safe!

2021/01/27 at 8:39 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on A Dog Named Spot

Yes, to a child, puppies are better than chickens! We used to hate going into the yard and “cutting our foot’ as we described stepping into the chicken droppings! Chickens sure played a major role in the way we got our protein.
    Oh, well, ’nuff said!

2021/01/24 at 11:18 pm
  • From Dale Divine on A Dog Named Spot

Another great story JoAnn. Me being from the hills of Kentucky right across the border from Virginia, can very much relate to this story. My grandfather who owned a combination Texaco service station, grocery store, and restaurant always had people “dropping” off their unwanted pets in front of his business. I can remember all the great dogs that my cousins and I had. The wild feral cats did a great job of keeping the mice and rats away.
    My older brother and several cousins still live there and they still get the unwanted pets. None are ever turned away and all well fed. My wife and I got a puppy from one of the litters and she was the best dog we have ever had.
    Keep up the great missives JoAnn and TJ. Y’all are always bringing back soooo many great memories.

2021/01/24 at 4:58 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on Give Me Coffee

And then there is Starbucks! LOL

2021/01/10 at 2:21 pm
  • From Frank Shortt on You've Got Mail

My wife and I have a house in the Eldorado National Forest of the Sierras. We have plenty of pine trees. If you and Brandon don’t mind, come on over and help me rake! Just kidding of course, but to have a person help with all the raking and burning would be a welcome relief for this old senior citizen. Keep on writing, Joe Thomas!

2021/01/10 at 2:18 pm
  • From Dale Divine on Give Me Coffee

Love the story JoAnn. I love the aroma of coffee also, but I get terrible indigestion if I drink it.
    And I cannot drink caffeinated coffee nor can my wife. She drinks decaffeinated occasionally and I have a couple
    of sips of hers. Keep up the good work.

2021/01/09 at 9:14 pm